Travels Across Russia: 1889

J. Guthrie Watson’s ‘A Journey Across Russia’ Album


This oversized album with J. Guthrie Watson’s initials in gilt on the cover was likely assembled upon his return to England. Although it is not certain how many of the views in this album were photographed by Watson himself, in 1899 he exhibited a collection of photographs at the Anthropological Institute in London. The following images are albumen prints, unless otherwise specified.

1 of 109

Hand-colored portrait of J. Guthrie Watson, the collector and possibly the photographer of some the images here, in ceremonial Cossack dress.

A member of the Conservative Club in London, Watson appears to have been a former military officer and was, in his words, “well acquainted with the Caucasus (particularly that portion known as Circassia).”

2 of 109

View of the monument to Alexander I (1777–1825) with the Winter Palace in background.

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Alexander Column, 1830–1834, designed by Auguste Ricard de Montferrand (1786–1858).

3 of 109

Tsarskoe Selo was an imperial residence south of Saint Petersburg.

Tsarskoe Selo, Russia
Catherine Palace, 1748–1756, designed by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli (c. 1700–1771)


4 of 109

Peterhof was an imperial residence in Saint Petersburg.

Peterhof, Russia
Estate, Great Palace, 1714–1752, designed by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli

5 of 109


Tsarskoe Selo, Russia
Catherine Palace, 1748–1756, designed by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli

6 of 109

The Kingdom of Poland was subsumed into the Russian Empire in 1867. By the end of the 19th century, Warsaw had become the third-largest city of the empire after Saint Petersburg and Moscow. The Łazienki Palace (or Water Palace), originally built 1683–1689 from designs by Dutch-born Polish architect Tylman van Gameren, was entirely remodeled by Domenico Merlini in 1764–1795.

Warsaw, Poland
Łazienki Palace, 1764–1795, designed by Domenico Merlini (b. 1730/1731–1797)

7 of 109

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Cathedral of Saint Isaac, 1818–1858, designed by Auguste Ricard de Montferrand

8 of 109

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Cathedral of the Kazan Mother of God, 1801–1811, designed by Andrey Voronikhin (1759–1814)

9 of 109

Saint Petersburg, Russia
View of Nevsky Prospect with Anichkov Bridge, 1841–1842, rebuilt 1906–1908. Sculptures of The Horse Tamers by Pyotr Karlovich Klodt (1805–1867). View also shows Belosselsky-Belozersky Palace, 1747

10 of 109

Saint Petersburg, Russia
View of Nevsky Prospect

11 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, panorama (heavily hand-colored)

12 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, Cathedral of Christ the Savior (hand-colored)
Designed 1832 by Konstantin Thon (1794–1881), built 1839–1860, demolished 1931, rebuilt 1994–2000

13 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, Cathedral of Christ the Savior (hand-colored)
Designed 1832 by Konstantin Thon (1794–1881), built 1839–1860, demolished 1931, rebuilt 1994–2000

14 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Cathedral of the Intercession on the Moat (Saint Basil) (hand-colored)
Designed 1555–1561 by Barma (active c. 1555–1560) and Posnik Yakovlev (active c. 1550–1562) 

15 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Panorama, Red Square with the Cathedral of the Intercession on the Moat, the Redeemer’s Gate, and monument to Minin and Pozharsky (hand-colored)

16 of 109

This 17th-century birthplace of the founder of the Romanov dynasty, Tsar Michael I, was restored by order of Tsar Alexander II and opened as a museum in 1859.

Moscow, Russia
Chambers of the Romanov Boyars (hand-colored)

17 of 109

Sergiyev Posad, Russia
Panorama, Trinity-Sergius Monastery, 15th–18th centuries (hand-colored lithograph)

18 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, Spassky Tower, 1491; upper tower added 1624–1625
Designed by Pietro Antonio Solari (c. 1440 or c. 1450–1493), Bazhen Ogurtsov (active first half 17th century),  and Christopher Galloway (active 1624–1645)

19 of 109

The Tsar Bell (Tsarsky Kolokol III or Royal Bell) resides on the grounds of Moscow’s Kremlin. The first two Tsar Bells were destroyed by fire; this third bell was also damaged in a fire, during casting. It remained in the casting pit for nearly a century until it was raised in 1836 by French architect Auguste Ricard de Montferrand and placed on a stone pedestal. It has never rung.

Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, Tsar Bell, casting begun 1735, damaged 1737, mounted on pedestal 1836

20 of 109

Moscow, Russia
Panorama, Kremlin

21 of 109

Probably Moscow, Russia
View of a troika, the characteristically Russian three-horse carriage

22 of 109

Sergiyev Posad, Russia
Panorama, Trinity-Sergius Monastery, 15th–18th centuries (colored lithograph)

23 of 109

Unidentified monastery (colored lithograph)

24 of 109

This early 19th-century church was demolished by the Soviets, and rebuilt beginning 2007

Sergiyev Posad, Russia
Savior-Bethany Monastery, Church of the Transfiguration (colored lithograph).

25 of 109

Kiev, Ukraine
Panorama, Monastery of the Caves, 11th and 18th centuries (colored lithograph)

26 of 109

Saints of the Pechersk Lavra from the Monastery of the Caves, Kiev, Ukraine (chromolithograph)

27 of 109

Dormition of the Virgin from the Monastery of the Caves, Kiev, Ukraine (chromolithograph)

28 of 109

Kiev, Ukraine
Saint Michael's Monastery, 12th century, rebuilt 18th century, demolished 1930s, reconstructed and reopened 1999 (colored lithograph)

29 of 109

Silver shrine of Saint Barbara from Saint Michael's Monastery, Kiev, Ukraine

30 of 109

Icon of Saint Michael from Saint Michael's Monastery, Kiev, Ukraine

31 of 109

Kiev, Ukraine
Saint Michael's Monastery with police station and law courts at left

32 of 109

Kiev, Ukraine
Panorama, Monastery of the Caves, 11th and 18th centuries

33 of 109

Bohdan Khmelnytsky was a hetman (head of state) of the Zaporozhian Cossacks who liberated Kiev from Polish rule and is regarded as the father of the Ukraine.

Kiev, Ukraine
Cathedral of Saint Sophia, c. 1037–1060, with monument to Bohdan Khmelnitsky at extreme right (cyanotype)

34 of 109

Kiev, Ukraine
Saint Vladimir, late 19th century (cyanotype)

35 of 109

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
View from the Kremlin

36 of 109

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
View of upper town and Kremlin

37 of 109

The Nizhny Novgorod Fair succeeded the Makaryev Fair, an annual commercial event which attracted international goods from all over Central Asia, Persia, and India. From the mid-16th century, the fair was held July to September at the Makaryev Monastery on the Volga River. In 1816, the fairgrounds were destroyed by fire and the fair moved to Nizhny Novgorod. Although damaged during the revolution and closed in 1929, the fair was revived in 1990.

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Panorama, Chinese rows of the Nizhny Novgorod Fair, 1817–1825, designed by Auguste Ricard de Montferrand. The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior is visible in the center background.

38 of 109

Odessa was founded at the order of Russian Empress Catherine the Great in 1794. Its development was cultivated by Duc de Richelieu, who fled to Russia during the French Revolution and was appointed by Tsar Alexander I as the governor-general of the Crimea and governor of Odessa from 1803 to 1814.

Odessa, Ukraine

39 of 109

The great poet Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799–1837) is considered the originator of modern Russian literature.

Odessa, Ukraine
Nicholas Boulevard with the monument to Pushkin

40 of 109

Odessa, Ukraine
Opera theater, 1884–1887, designed by G. Gelmer (active 1880s) and Ferdinand Fellner (1847–1916) 

41 of 109

The Siege of Sevastopol (September 1854–September 1855) was the last major military action of the Crimean War.

Sevastopol, Ukraine

42 of 109

This cemetery commemorated the Allied dead from the Crimean War Siege of Sevastopol and was largely destroyed during World War II.

Sevastopol, Ukraine
The British memorial complex with guard’s monument on Cathcart's Hill, 1854–1856



43 of 109

Yalta, on the north coast of the Black Sea in Crimea, became a popular resort for Russian nobility in the 19th century. Tsar Alexander III and later Nicholas II built palaces in the area, and literary luminaries Leo Tolstoy and Anton Chekhov also resided there.

Yalta, Ukraine
Panorama with Hôtel de Russia


44 of 109

Balaclava was the site of the 1854 Crimean War battle that included the fateful “Charge of the Light Brigade,” immortalized in the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Balaclava, Ukraine

45 of 109

Ceded to Russia in 1829 after the Russo-Turkish War, the port of Novorossiysk was the capital of the Black Sea Governorate.

Novorossiysk, Russia
Panorama, harbor

46 of 109

Novorossiysk, Russia
Panorama of piers for loading grain

47 of 109

Novorossiysk, Russia
Panorama of ship struggling against the Bora, the violent wind off the Black Sea

48 of 109

By 1810, Russia claimed Sukhum Kaleh (Sukhumi) as a base in the northwest Caucasus.

Sukhum Kaleh, Georgia
Panorama near Batum

49 of 109

Tbilisi, Georgia
Panorama with floating water mills on Kura River (right foreground)

50 of 109

Tbilisi, Georgia

51 of 109

Georgia joined the Russian Empire in 1801, with Tbilisi (Tiflis) becoming a governorate. As improved transportation connected Tbilisi to other cities in the Caucasus and Russia, Tbilisi reemerged as a cultural center, and was often visited by Leo Tolstoy, Pushkin, and other artists and statesmen.

Tbilisi, Georgia

52 of 109

After Georgia became part of the Russian Empire, this town southwest of Tbilisi, in the Lesser Caucasus, became a popular spa resort and home to Grand Duke Michael Nicolaievich, the governor general of Transcaucasia.

Borjomi, Georgia
Panorama with the Grand Duke’s summer residence

53 of 109

Mount Elbrus is the highest peak in the Russian Caucasus, and the highest mountain in Europe.

Mount Elbrus, Georgia

54 of 109

Mount Kabarjin, Georgia
Panorama of Kobi village


55 of 109

Mount Kazbek is highest peak of Eastern Georgia.

Mount Kazbek, Georgia

56 of 109

This Russian settlement in the Caucasus was founded in the late 18th century and by 1803 had become a popular mineral springs resort. The statue shown here is of Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov, the Russian writer, poet, and painter who had been exiled to serve in the Russian cavalry in the Caucasus and was killed in a duel here in Pyatigorsk in 1841.

Pyatigorsk, Russia
Cathedral Square with statue of Lermontov

57 of 109

Russia established a fort at Vladikavkaz in the Caucasus in 1784. The city is now the capital of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, Russia.

Vladikavkaz, Russia

58 of 109

Mount Ararat on the Turkey-Iran border is the highest peak in Turkey. Judeo-Christian tradition identifies the mountains of Ararat as the spot where Noah's ark came to rest.

Mount Ararat, Turkey
Panorama with a regiment of Cossacks

59 of 109

Erzurum, Turkey
Panorama with the Citadel

60 of 109

In 1813, Persia ceded Baku and most of the Caucasus to Russia. Located on the Absheron Peninsula on the west side of the Caspian Sea, Baku today is the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Panorama of town and port

61 of 109

Baku, Azerbaijan
View of the quai

62 of 109

The Baku area was rich in oil and, by the beginning of the 20th century, produced nearly half of the world’s supply.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Panorama of Black Town, showing petroleum refineries

63 of 109

Baku, Azerbaijan
Panorama of a petroleum spout

64 of 109

Circassia was a nation that spanned the east Black Sea coast between Crimea and the Caucasus. By 1864, this area had been overrun by the Russian Empire—the population decimated and the few survivors refugees in the Ottoman Empire.

Russian lady in Circassian dress

65 of 109

Circassian man and woman

66 of 109

Circassian lady

67 of 109

Mingrelia was a principality in western Georgia that was conquered by and subsumed into Russia in 1857.

Woman of Mingrelia

68 of 109

Georgian woman

69 of 109

Tartar (or Tatar) peoples descended from the Mongols of the Golden Hoard. Crimean Tartars became part of the Turkic-speaking Muslim Crimean Khanate on the Crimean peninsula, now Ukraine. After 1783, when Russia annexed the Crimean Khanate, many Tartars were massacred, exiled to Siberia, or fled as refugees to the Ottoman Empire.

Tartar woman

70 of 109

Armenian woman

71 of 109

Georgian carriage

72 of 109

Dagestan (or Daghestan) in the north Caucasus came under Russian authority in 1803, although resistance to imperial authority continued sporadically throughout the 19th century. Today, Dagestan is a Russian republic.

“King of Dagestan”

73 of 109

In 1869, imperial Russia established a fort in Krasnovodsk. Since 1993 called Türkmenbaşy (or Turkmenbashi), this city on the eastern shore of the Caspian Sea was the western terminus of the Trans-Caspian Railway and an important transportation center.

Krasnovodsk, Turkmenistan

74 of 109

This Caspian island seaport was the original starting point of the Trans-Caspian Railway (later moved to Krasnovodsk).

Uzun-Ada, Turkmenistan

75 of 109

Ashgabat, or Ashkhabad, situated between the Kara Kum desert and the Kopet Dag mountain range, is the capital of Turkmenistan. Founded in 1881, the town was ceded to Russia by Persia after the Battle of Geok Tepe.

Ashgabat, Turkmenistan

76 of 109

Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
Ice house

77 of 109

Merv was a major oasis-city on the historic Silk Road. Located near today's Mary in Turkmenistan, it has been inhabited since the third millennium BC.

Merv, Turkmenistan
Panorama, village of Baba Khan



78 of 109

Merv, Turkmenistan

79 of 109

Merv, Turkmenistan
Panorama, bazaar

80 of 109

“Uzbek residence of Fairchaikh Tchylek”

81 of 109

Khiva (or Khorezm) became a quasi-independent protectorate of the Russian Empire after 1873.

Khiva, Uzbekistan
Itchan Kala, Kunya-Ark (Citadel), gate of the walled city, 1686–1888

82 of 109

Khiva, Uzbekistan
New Kiosk of the Khan

83 of 109

Khiva, Uzbekistan
Tash Khauli Palace, 1830–1838

84 of 109

Begun under the rule of Mohammed Amin Khan and left unfinished upon his death, this minaret was intended to be twice as tall, tapering to a domed gallery. Kalta-Minor means “short minaret.”

Khiva, Uzbekistan
Kalta Minor minaret, 1851–1855

85 of 109

Bukhara (or Bokhara), on the Silk Road in Uzbekistan, has long been a center of trade, scholarship, culture, and religion.

Bukhara, Uzbekistan

86 of 109

Bukhara, Uzbekistan
Street scene

87 of 109

Bukhara, Uzbekistan
Citadel (Ark), Palace of the Emir, 16th century

88 of 109

Khotoun, Uzbekistan
Daya Fortress, between Khiva and Samarkand

89 of 109

Darganata, Turkmenistan
Fortress, between Khiva and Samarkand

90 of 109

Samarkand, on the Silk Road to China, is today the second-largest city in Uzbekistan. In the 14th century it was the capital of the empire of Timur (Tamerlane). Russia conquered the city in 1868 and by 1886 Samarkand became the capital of Russian Turkestan.

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
View from the Citadel

91 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Panorama, Saddler’s Street

92 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan

93 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Madrasah Khodja Akhcar, 1632

94 of 109

 Bazaar Day.

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Bibi-Khanym Mosque, 1399

95 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Cathedral, 19th century

96 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Shah-i-Zinda Necropolis, 9th–14th centuries

97 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Shah-i-Zinda Necropolis, viewed from the bazaar

98 of 109

Probably near Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Race course  

99 of 109

“Balachonpaky Village on the Orek Vay Tchylek.”

100 of 109

Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Khuja Khidr Mosque on the Tashkent Road

101 of 109

Sart village, probably in Uzbekistan

102 of 109

At the time this album was compiled, Russians used the term Sart to denote any of the settled peoples of Turkestan.

Sart children

103 of 109

Sart outdoor dress

104 of 109

Sart woman

105 of 109

The Teke are one of the main Turkmen tribes. After the 1881 battle of Geok Tepe, in which the Teke were defeated, Turkmenistan became a part of the Russian Empire.

Teke Turkoman women

106 of 109

The Khans of Khiva descended from Genghis Khan. In 1873, the Khanate of Khiva was became a Russian protectorate.

Musicians of the Khan of Khiva

107 of 109

Turkoman Cavalry
The renowned horsemen of Central Asia

108 of 109

Ram fight

109 of 109