eddystone lighthouse

John Smeaton (architect) and Josias Jessop (model maker), Model for the Eddystone Lighthouse, off Plymouth, England, 1757-1759, Trustees of the National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh

commercial architecture

As trade expanded throughout Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, the baroque also extended to commercial structures such as banks and market buildings. Everyday necessities such as food and clothing could be purchased locally at such market halls. Luxury items too were increasingly in demand, and fine silks, porcelain, spices, tea, coffee, tobacco, and rum were imported to Europe from Asia and the New World. The growth in local and international trade required more elaborate transportation networks of roads, canals, and, in particular, shipping routes, harbors, and lighthouses. Eddystone Lighthouse, located off the southwestern coast of England, was built as a commercial enterprise. It was commissioned in 1756 by a small company of shareholders, who collected tolls from ships entering Plymouth Harbor in return for maintaining the light.

next section military architecture



terms of use | home | Go to our page on Facebook Go to our page on Twitter