Miro, Personnage Gothique, Oiseau-Éclair (Gothic Personage, Bird-Flash)National Gallery of Art
Sculpture Garden
leftspacerGeneral InformationSculpturePlantingsChronologyConstructiongreenbar-right
yellowbar-leftEarly Plans1908-19411941-19781988-1996yellowbar-right
gradient below yellow
The Baltimore and Potomac railroad station
1908
The Baltimore and Potomac Station, located on the site of the future National Gallery of Art West Building, is razed and its tracks are removed from the Mall, in keeping with the McMillan Commission Plan.





1911
The National Museum of Natural History, designed by architects Hornblower and Marshall, is completed and stands to the west of the Sculpture Garden site.

1935
The National Archives building, designed by architect John Russell Pope, is completed immediately north of the Sculpture Garden site.

Andrew Mellon in his apartment in the McCormick at 18th Street and Massachusetts Ave. NW.,
1936
In a letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Andrew W. Mellon proposes to give to the nation his art collection and to build a National Gallery of Art on the Mall in Washington.






1937
The 75th Congress approves Public Resolution 14 "Providing for the Construction and Maintenance of a National Gallery of Art," as envisioned by Andrew Mellon. Construction of the National Gallery of Art's original (West) Building, designed by John Russell Pope, begins. back arrow (2 of 4)next arrow




terms of use | home | Go to our page on Facebook Go to our page on Twitter