May 31, 1897
The memorial, cast in bronze by the Goreham Manufacturing Company in Providence,
Rhode Island, was unveiled in Boston on Memorial Day. Its architectural setting was
designed by Charles Follen McKim.
The full-scale plaster, from which the bronze was cast, was exhibited at the Paris
Salon. The horse's mane and the angel had been altered.
The plaster was exhibited again at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, where Saint-Gaudens won the Grand Prize. At that time, further changes were visible: Saint-Gaudens had adjusted the angel's drapery and anatomy and lowered the entire figure;
he also moved the flags, held aloft, much closer together.
1901 - 1949
In 1901, the plaster Shaw memorial was again exhibited in Buffalo at the Pan-American Exposition. The following year it was purchased by the museum now known as the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. It was on display until 1919, when it was stored behind a wall.
1949 - 1997
In 1949, after thirty years off-view, the plaster of the Shaw memorial was presented to the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site at Cornish, New Hampshire -- the sculptor's home which his widow and son had donated to the nation. The plaster was on view in a three-sided open building at Cornish from 1959 until its 1997 restoration and exhibition at the National Gallery of Art.