Since the museum first opened to the public, food
facilities have offered guests refreshments and the opportunity to relax and socialize during their visit
at the Gallery. The original West Building ground floor cafeteria, which opened in 1941, remained almost
unchanged for decades. It now has been replaced by other eating facilities including the concourse café
and espresso bar, which mirror the growth of the Gallery's campus and reflect the changing tastes of
Gallery visitors, from Jell-O to gelato.