By descent through the family of the sitter to Kate Thom Wood [Mrs. Thomas Newton Wood]; by inheritance to her daughter, Katherine Wood Dunlap [1884-1970, Mrs. Robert Henry Dunlap]; gift 1947 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Progress of a Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951, no catalogue.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Corcoran [The American Genuis], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, no checklist.
- Charles Peale Polk (1767-1822), A Limner and His Likenesses, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Dayton Art Institute; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1981-1982, no. 142.
- Creating the Federal City, 1774-1800: Potomac Fever, Octagon Museum, Washington, 1988, no checklist.
- The Peale Family: Creation of an American Legacy, 1770-1870, Philadelphia Museum of Art; M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1996-1997, unnumbered checklist (shown only in Washington).
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June-18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Miles, Ellen G. "Charles Peale Polk, Hannah Lemmon Corcoran (Mrs. Thomas Corcoran)." In Corcoran Gallery of Art : American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 60-61, 255, repro.