lower left: TH.Rousseau.
Solomon Goldschmidt; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 17 May 1888, no. 45 as La Rivière); (Bague). (M. Knoedler & Co., New York).  Maurice Gentien;  (his sale, Galerie George Petit, 3-4 December 1923, no.45, as La Rivière); (M. Knoedler & Co., New York).  Acquired by 1941 by R. Horace Gallatin [1871-1948], New York; gift 1949 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1954-1955.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1967-1971.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 117.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 104, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 312, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 359, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 340-342, color repro.