reverse of the lining canvas, in a later hand: Stuart's Washington / painted for Genl McDonald / of Maryland, & from his walls / brought to Boston, & given to / Rob. C. Winthrop / by his wife & daughter.
William C. McDonald [1757/1758-1845], Baltimore; probably his grandson, Samuel McDonald [1849-1877], Baltimore County, Maryland; bought by Cornelia Adelaide Granger (Thayer) Winthrop [Mrs. Robert Charles Winthrop, 1819-1892] and her daughter, Adele Thayer for Robert Charles Winthrop [1809-1894], Boston; bequeathed to Adele Thayer and to his grandson, Robert M. Winthrop [1873-1938], Boston; (Frank W. Bayley & Son, Boston), consigned 5 December 1924 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); sold 24 December 1924 to Edward Small Moore [1881-1948], New York; his wife, Jean McGinley Moore Draper [Mrs. Charles Dana Draper, 1884/1885-1954], New York; bequest 1954 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 291
- Mr. President; A Pictorial Parade of Presidents from Washington to Eisenhower 1789-1956, Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, Texas, 1956, no. 7 (for the State Fair of Texas).
- French, American, and Italian Review, Oklahoma Art Center, Oklahoma City, 1963, no. 48
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1964-1969.
- Extended loan for use by Blair House, Washington, D.C., 1972-1985.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Ronald Lauder, U.S. Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1986-1990.
- Extended loan for use by Justice Anthony Scalia, Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1991-2008.
- Extended loan for use by Chief Justice John Roberts, Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 2008-
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 107.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 26, no cat. no.
- Johnston, Elizabeth Bryant. Original Portraits of Washington, including Statues, Monuments and Medals. Boston, 1882: 99-100.
- Fielding 1923, 194, no. 73.
- Park 1926, 881, no. 73, repro.
- Morgan & Fielding 1931, 295-296, no. 73.
- Eisen 1932, 1:162-163.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 108, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 237, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 352, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 235-237, repro. 236.
- The Worlds of Jacob Eichholtz, Portrait Painter of the Early Republic. Exh. cat. Lancaster County History Society, Pennsylvania (plus two other simultaneous venues), 2003: 107, repro.
- Barratt, Carrie Rebora, and Ellen G. Miles. Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (for the National Portrait Gallery). New York, New Haven, and London, 2004: 157-158, fig. 98.