(M. Knoedler & Co.), 1921, from whom it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Sabin, Southampton, Long Island, New York. Mrs. Sabin, née Pauline Morton, later became Mrs. Dwight F. Davis, Washington [d. 1955]; gift to NGA, 1954.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 116
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 103, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 308, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: no. 511, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 355, repro.
- Hayes, John. British Paintings of the Sixteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 232-235, repro. 233.
The medium-weight canvas is plain woven; it has been lined, but the tacking margins survive intact. The light-brown ground is applied thinly and evenly. The painting is executed fluidly and thinly; the uniform remains flat and unfinished, only the head being modeled to a higher finish. The painting is in good condition. Retouching is confined almost exclusively to the edges. The thick natural resin varnish has discolored yellow slightly.