George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- [Exhibition], Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock; Arkansas Artmobile state-wide tour, 1966-1968 (organized by Department of Education, State of Arkansas).
- Inaugural Exhibition and Loan for display with permanent collection, Texas Technical University Museum, Lubbock, 1970-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassadors Louis Arthur Tambs and Charles A. Gillespie, U.S. Embassy residence, Bogotà, Colombia, 1983-1986.
- I Like America. Fictions of the Wild West, Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt, 2006-2007, no. 30, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 77, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 72, repro.