George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Phoenix Art Museum, 1968-1969.
- Exhibition of George Catlin Paintings, Allentown Art Museum, Pennsylvania, 1970.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Roger C. B. Morton, U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C., 1971-1975.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1975-1991.
- Art and the Oval Office: Presidential Selections from the Nation's Museums, 1960-2000, The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 2004-2005, no cat.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 30.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 124, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 104, repro.