George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- [Catlin exhibition], Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences, Virginia, 1970.
- George Catlin: Painter of the Indians of the Americas, Sordoni Art Gallery (Opening Exhibition), Wilkes College, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 1973, no. 23, repro. (misnumbered as 33).
- Sudamerica: Pinturas de George Catlin, Museo Franz Meyer, Mexico City; Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires; Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino, Santiago, Chile, 1989-1990, no. 21, color repro. (organized by United States Information Agency).
- South American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service Exhibition), The Museums at Hartwick College, Oneonta, New York, 1992.
- South American Indian Paintings by George Catlin (NGA National Lending Service Exhibition), The Lowe Art Museum, The University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, 1994-1995.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 35, repro. 25.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 97, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 121, repro.