George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- An Exhibition of Paintings and Lithographs by George Catlin, Artist Historian, Tennessee Fine Arts Center, Nashville, 1971, no. 29.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassadors Charles A. Gillespie and Thomas E. McNamara, U.S. Embassy residence, Bogotà, Colombia, 1987-1991.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Morris Busby, U.S. Embassy residence, Bogotá, Colombia, 1992-1994.
- George Catlin and His Indian Gallery, Renwick Gallery, Washington, D.C., 2002-2003, not in cat.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 34.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 45, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 108, repro.