Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 11:00 to 6:00

Provenance

Painted for the Reverend George Hill [1750-1819], St. Andrews, Scotland; by descent to John Sheriff Hill [d. 1900], Dingwall, Inverness; (sale, Fraser, Inverness, 1900); bought by (Wallis & Son, London); (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), by 1911;[1] purchased by 1925[2] by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; gift by 1937 to his daughter, Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.

Exhibition History
1925
Paintings by Old Masters from Pittsburgh Collections, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1925, no. 58.
Bibliography
1901
Armstrong, Sir Walter. Sir Henry Raeburn. London, 1901: 104.
1911
Greig, James. Sir Henry Raeburn, R.A.: His Life and His Works. London, 1911: 48.
1975
European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 278, repro.
1975
Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: 370, no. 527, color repro.
1985
European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 323, repro.
1992
Hayes, John. British Paintings of the Sixteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 196-197, repro. 197.
Technical Summary

The medium-weight canvas is twill woven; it has been lined. The ground is white, of moderate thickness. The painting is executed in very fluid and thin layers, blended wet into wet; the forms are vaguely blocked, only the features being crisply defined. Most of the picture surface has been solvent abraded; the texture has been flattened and the weave of the canvas impressed into the surface during lining. There is considerable retouching throughout the figure and lower background. The thickly and unevenly applied natural resin varnish, toned with carbon black, has discolored gray to a significant degree.