by later hand, formerly on right arm in pencil (no longer visible; removed in 1951 treatment; photograph in object file [1980.62.34] in NGA curatorial records): Aged 14 [ ] days
Recorded as from New York State. Descended in the Post family until it was sold by Miss Katharine Olcott. (Fred J. Johnson, Kingston, New York), by whom sold in 1950 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Exhibition commemorating the relief of Leydon, Holland Society, Dutch Reformed Church, Kingston, New York, 1886, no. 10.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 14.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955 (shown only two weeks and replaced).
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 6, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- Fifty Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, Florida, 1967, no cat.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 5, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, organized by the Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., and Mainichi News., Nihobashi Mitsukoshi, Tokyo, 1970, no cat.
- Yearbook of the Holland Society of New York, 1886-1887. New York, 1887: 33, 34.
- Ford, Alice. Pictorial Folk Art: New England to California. New York and London, 1949: 10, 55.
- Belknap, Waldron Phoenix, Jr. American Colonial Painting: Materials for a History, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1959: 252, pl. 72, no. 3.
- Curran, Ona. "A Study of New York Portraits of Schenectady Residents, 1715-1750." M.A. thesis, State University of New York, College at Oneonta, Cooperstown Graduate Program, 1966: 99, 100, 102, 103, 105, 114, 153, 154.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 422, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 574-576, repro. 575.