lower left: D.G. Stouter, / Artist
Recorded as from Pennsylvania. (Edgar Sittig, Shawnee-on-Delaware, Pennsylvania), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- 101 Masterpieces of American PrimitivePainting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 62, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- Art and the Decorator, Wildenstein Gallery, New York, 1967, unnumbered cat.
- Fifty Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, Florida, 1967, no cat.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 58, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Haverstock, Mary Sayre. "An American Bestiary." Art in America 58 (July 1970): color repro. 47.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 344, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 379-381, color repro. 380.