signed at lower right in black chalk: St aubin; inscribed by the artist's brother, Charles-Germain de Saint-Aubin in pen and brown ink at lower center: G. St Aubin.del.; by a later hand, lower center in graphite: 1780; verso, by a later hand, lower left in graphite: 19729
Alfred Beurdeley [1847-1919] (Lugt 421), Paris; Stieglitz Library, St. Petersburg; Hermitage Museum, after 1926; (sale, Paris, Hotel George V, 9 December 1981, lot 60); (Artemis Fine Arts Ltd., London, 1982); purchased by Ian Woodner, New York, 1982; gift to NGA, 1982.
- Master Prints and Drawings 15th to 19th Centuries. Artemis Fine Arts Limited, London, 1982, no. 34.
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 87 (entry by Suzanne Folds McCullagh).
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007 (no cat.).
- Renaissance to Revolution: French Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, 1500-1800. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2009, 154-155, 284, no. 66 (color).
- Dacier, Émile. Gabriel de Saint-Aubin, peintre, dessinateur et graveur. 2 vols. Paris, 1929-1931, 2: 62, no. 407(10).