upper right: renoir.
From the artist in 1895 to Durand-Ruel; purchased from the Durand-Ruel family by (Sam Salz, New York); sold 1962 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Renoir Exhibition, Durand-Ruel Gallery, Paris, 1900
- Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris, 1928
- Artmobile II ("Twelve Portraits: Delacroix to Gauguin"), sponsored by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1962, no. 7
- Middleburg Community Center, Middleburg, VA, 22 September - 16 October 1962
- Loan for display at Vassar College Art Gallery, Poughkeepsie, May- June 1963.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 107, repro
- Renoir's Portraits: Impressions of an Age, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; The Art Institute of Chicago; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 1997-1998, fig. 272, as Child with Toys (Gabrielle and Jean) (shown only in Fort Worth).
- Around Impressionism: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1999, no cat.
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 36, repro.
- Renoir, Renoir. Cinémathèque français, Paris, 2005, repro. p. 20.
- Drucker, Michel. Renoir. Paris, 1944:repro. 111.