By descent to the great niece of the sitter, Mrs. W. B. Laws, Calverton, Virginia; purchased 1956 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 28 January-7 March 1959, unnumbered cat., as Unidentified Artist.
- American Painters of the South, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 23 April-5 June 1960, no. 58, as Unidentitied.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October-29 December 1963, unpublished checklist, as Unidentified Artist, 19th century.
- Tercentenary Exhibition, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, 23 March-28 April 1963, no. 63, as Unknown Artist.
- Conservation in the Museum, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 September-22 October 1972, unpublished checklist.
- Charles Peale Polk (1767-1822), A Limner and His Likenesses, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Dayton Art Institute; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1981-1982, no. x.173, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 305, repro.