Recorded as from Springfield, Massachusetts. Purchased in 1946 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- American Ancestors, Downton Gallery, New York, 1938, listed with three other portraits under the title Fall River Family, by an anonymous artist of the Fall River School.
- Vassar College, February, 1938.
- Masterpieces in American Folk Art, Marshall Field and Company, Chicago, 1941.
- American Folk Art Gallery, New York, 1942.
- Exhibition of American Folk Art, Marshall Field and Company, 1943, no. 12, as above.
- American Primitive Painting, 1750-1950, Milwaukee Art Institute, 1951, as Father, by an unknown Fall River artist.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 277, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 268, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 309, 312, repro. 310.