on slate: Suffer Little Children to Come unto me for of such is the kingdom of Heav[en]
Recorded as from Boston. Purchased in 1953 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Columbus Museum of Arts and Crafts, Columbus, Georgia, 1968-1969, no. 17.
- Extended loan for use by the Council on Economic Policy, Office of the Secretary of the Treasury, The White House, Washington, D.C., 1973-1974.
- American Folk Art: Tour in the Arkansas Artmobile Bicentennial Exhibition, traveling exhibition organized by the Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 1975-1976, no cat.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 52, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 52, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 140, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 282, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 268, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 312-314, color repro. 313.
- Perry, Claire. Young America. Childhood in 19th-Century Art and Culture. New Haven and London, 2006: 194-196, fig. 158.