Mrs. Benjamin Thaw [1861-1931], Pittsburgh; her heirs; by whom sold through (American Art Association, New York, 18 May 1934, no. 82); purchased by Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 34, repro., as by Delacroix.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 40, as by Delacroix.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 33, repro., as by Delacroix.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 102, repro.
- Johnson, Lee. The Paintings of Eugène Delacroix. 6 vols. Oxford, 1981: 3:126-128, no. 305, as copy after Delacroix, possibly by Pierre Andrieu.
- Georgel, Pierre. Tout l'oeuvre peint de Delacroix. Paris, 1984: 120-122, mentioned.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 124, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 236-238, repro.