The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Mark Rothko: Subjects, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1983-1984, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Against the Stream: Milton Avery, Adolph Gottlieb, and Mark Rothko in the 1930s, Katonah Museum of Art, New York, 1994, unnumbered checklist.
- In the Tower: Mark Rothko, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2010-2011, unnumbered brochure.
- Mark Rothko: Selections from the National Gallery of Art, Academy Art Museum, Easton, 2012, no catalogue.
- Chave, Anna C. Mark Rothko: Subjects in Abstraction. New Haven, 1989: 21, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 277, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 65, repro.