Grades 6 through 12
This tour gives students a taste of French art and explores a variety of themes including artistic styles, portraits of historical figures, scenes from everyday life, and images of patronage and power.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four to five tour stops in the galleries, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises and small-group work—that foster conversations about works of art. On this tour, students will practice the following skills:
• reasoning with evidence from works of art and using them as primary sources from which to gather ideas about French art and culture;
• developing new perspectives about French art, culture, and history;
• making and voicing careful observations;
• formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement;
• comparing different works of art and articulating connections between them; and
• donnecting tour ideas to prior knowledge and experience
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
Group Size: Up to 90 students
Length: 75 minutes
Meeting Location: West Building Rotunda
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via mail in 10 business days (14 days for Spanish-language tours).