An Adventure with the Elements of Art
Kindergarten through Grade 5
Wednesday, November 1 at 10:30
Thursday, November 2 at 10:30
Tuesday, November 7 at 10:30
Wednesday, November 8 at 10:30
Wednesday, November 15 at 1:00
Thursday, November 16 at 1:00
Inspired by the art of Henri Matisse, Color’s Garden is a new play for young audiences that celebrates the joys and discoveries of making a new kind of art. Color, who dreams of making something new all on her own, leads her friends Line and Shape on an imaginative adventure. By working and playing together in new ways, the trio of friends discover that art can capture so much more than what we see. Featuring projections, playful animations, and a lively jazz score, this theatrical fantasy brings the elements of art to life and offers new understandings about their expressive power. Written and directed by Mary Hall Surface.
Looking and Learning Skills
The themes of the play are cooperation and working together; self-expression; the importance of respecting others; imagination and creativity; and the joy of discovery. Before, during, and after the performance, students will have opportunities to practice the following skills:
- making and articulating careful observations about visual art and theater performance;
- formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement;
- analyzing the formal elements of art—color, line, and shape—and how they work together;
- examining works of art from multiple perspectives;
- comparing and connecting different works of art; and
- connecting new ideas learned from the performance with prior knowledge and experience.
Group Size: Up to 150 seats per school
Length: 45 minutes
Meeting Location: East Building Auditorium
Note: Performances take place in the East Building Auditorium, which seats 450 people. Seats will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis by filling out the request form below. Buses should arrive 30 minutes prior to the performance. Teaching resources will be sent to the classroom in advance of the performance.
To register to attend a free performance, please fill out a form here.
Additional Gallery Resources
- An Eye for Art: Henri Matisse / Andre Derain (PDF 10.7MB)
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via mail in 10 business days (14 days for Spanish-language tours).