- Augustus Saint-Gaudens' Shaw Memorial
- West Building Main Floor
Overview: Commissioned from the celebrated American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens in the early 1880s and dedicated as a monument in 1897, the Shaw Memorial has been acclaimed as the greatest American sculpture of the nineteenth century. The relief masterfully depicts Colonel Shaw and the first African American infantry unit from the North to fight for the Union during the Civil War. Rare and early plaster sketches of the memorial, the angel, and six portrait heads of African American soldiers are also exhibited. The sculpture combines the real and allegorical, and presents a balance of restraint and vitality. The memorial to Robert Gould Shaw and the Massachusetts Fifty-fourth Regiment is on a ten-year renewable loan to the Gallery from the National Park Service, Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, Cornish, New Hampshire.
Sponsor: The Shaw Memorial Project is made possible by the generous support of The Circle of the National Gallery of Art. Additional support is provided by Shell Oil Company Foundation.
Passes: Admission is always free and passes are not required.
Image: Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Shaw Memorial, 1900, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, Cornish, New Hampshire, X.15233
- Forward 54th
- Video, Released: December 9, 2014, (32:13 minutes)
- Conservation of the Shaw Memorial: The Long Journey
- Audio, Released: January 28, 2014, (31:36 minutes)
- Shaw Memorial, Saint-Gaudens-Kid's
- Audio, Released: January 1, 2014, (111 minutes)
- Shaw Memorial, Saint-Gaudens-Spanish (Español)
- Audio, Released: January 1, 2014, (11:39 minutes)
- Shaw Memorial, Saint-Gaudens-French (Français)
- Audio, Released: January 1, 2014, (11:21 minutes)
- Shaw Memorial, Saint-Gaudens
- Audio, Released: January 1, 2014, (9:52 minutes)
- Tell It with Pride: The 54th Massachusetts Regiment and Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ Shaw Memorial
- Audio, Released: October 1, 2013, (55:01 minutes)
- "Shaw Memorial," 1900, Augustus Saint-Gaudens
- Video, Released: November 1, 2011, (3:18 minutes)
- Augustus Saint-Gaudens and the Shaw Memorial
- Audio, Released: February 17, 2009, (15:41 minutes)