From 1958 to 1973, Harry Shunk (German, 1924–2006) and János Kender (Hungarian, 1938–2009)—known collectively as Shunk-Kender, a partnership based initially in Paris and later in New York City — photographed the major European and American artists, studios, performances, and exhibitions of the time.
Between 2008 and 2012, the Roy Lichtenstein Foundation acquired the Harry Shunk Archive, which included the photograph and negative collection of Shunk-Kender as well as Harry Shunk’s individual work. After organizing, digitizing, and cataloging the archive, the foundation donated the material in 2014 to a consortium of five institutions: the Getty Research Institute (Los Angeles), Centre Pompidou (Paris), Tate (London), Museum of Modern Art (New York), and National Gallery of Art (Washington).
The portion of the Shunk-Kender Photography Collection received by the department of image collections in the National Gallery of Art Library encompasses 2,460 photographs with related digital images, and documents solely the work of Christo (b. 1935) and Jeanne-Claude (1935–2009), with whom the photographers worked closely throughout their partnership.