center right in red pastel: Whistler’s butterfly device
Louisine and Henry O. Havemeyer; by descent to their daughter Adaline Havemeyer Frelinghuysen, Morristown, NJ; by descent to her son The Honorable Peter H.B. Frelinghuysen; by descent to his son Peter Frelinghuysen; (Doyle, New York, 2012); (Thomas Colville Fine Art, Guilford, CT, 2012); purchased by NGA, 2012.
- London, The Fine Arts Society, Venice Pastels, Jan. 1881, no. 15 (as The Palace; white and pink).
- Boston, Copley SOciety, Oil Paintings, Watercolors, Pastels and Drawings-Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Feb. 1904, no. 123 (as The Palace-Pink and White)
- New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Splendid Legacy: The Havemeyer Collection, Mar. 27- Jun 20, 1993, no. 518
- The Poetry of Light - La poesia della luce: Venetian Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, Museo Correr, Venice, Venice, 2014 - 2015, no. 135.
- Godwin, E.W. "With Whistler's Critics," British Architect, 25, Feb. 1881, 98-99.
- St. James's Gazette, 9 Feb. 1881
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler. Copley Hall, Boston, 1904: 16, no. 123.
- Way T.R., Memories of James Mc Neill Whistler, the Artist, London and New York, 1912, illus. facing p. 52
- Catalogue of Paintings, Prints, Sculpture, and Objects of Art, Part II, Paintings and Pastels, Collections of the Havemeyer Family, privately printed for Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1931: 439.
- Weitzenhoffer, Francis. The Havemeyers: Impressionism Comes to America, New York, 1986: 159.
- Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney, et al. Splendid Legacy: The Havemeyer Collection, Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York,1993: 383-384, no. 518, repro.
- MacDonald, Margaret F. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours, A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 1995, pp. 277-278, no. M. 758.
- Grieve, Alastair. Whistler's Venice. Yale University Press, New Haven-London, 2000: 65-66.
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice, Berkeley and Los Angeles, 2001: 112.
- Robison, Andrew. "Gifts and Acquisitions: James McNeill Whistler, The Palace; white and pink." National Gallery of Art Bulletin 48, (Spring 2013): 25-26, repro.
- National Gallery of Art. Highlights from the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Washington, 2016: 240, 241, repro.