lower right: John Steuart Curry / 1932
(Walker Gallery, New York); purchased by Mrs. Grace Hendrick Eustis [later Mrs. Neill Phillips, d.1966], New York, by 1939; her husband, Admiral Neill Phillips, Upperville, Virginia.
- An Exhibition of Paintings of the Circus by John Steuart Curry, Ferargil Galleries, 1933, no. 3, as Elephants.
- Loan Exhibition of Drawings and Paintings by John Steuart Curry, The Lakeside Press Galleries, Chicago, 1939, no. 35, as Elephants.
- John Steuart Curry, 20 Years of His Art, Associated American Artists, New York, 1947, no. 12.
- Center Ring: The Artist: Two Centuries of Circus Art, Milwaukee Art Museum; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; New York State Museum, Albany; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1981-1982, no. 31.
- Persistance of Regionalism: John Steuart Curry and Grant Wood, Cedar Rapids Art Center; Edwin A. Ulrich Museum, Wichita State Univesity; University of Missouri Museum, 1981, no. 31, repro.
- John Steuart Curry: Inventing the Middle West, Elvehjem Museum of Art, University of Wisconsin-Madison; M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, 1998-1999, pl. 24, fig. 8, repros.
- Images from the World Between: The Circus in Twentieth-Century American Art, Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota; Austin Museum of Art, 2001-2002, fig. 116.
- Circus! Art and Science Under the Big Top, Bruce Museum of Arts and Science, Greenwich, Connecticut, 2010-2011, no catalogue.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 141, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 227, repro. 229.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 155, repro.