all by later hands: lower left verso in graphite: 39.832; all on mount: upper center verso in graphite: 11 1/4; center verso: William H. Lane Foundation label with typed additions: Charles Sheeler / Stairwell / 1915 Photo 9 1/2 x 6 1/2; National Collection of Fine Arts label with typed additions: T.L.47.1968.1110 / Charles Sheeler / Stairwell / Lent anonymously; 11 (circled); left center verso in graphite: 15; lower left verso in graphite: 66 7/8 x 16 1/4 / L95.3.65
Mrs. Saundra Lane, Lunenburg, MA; purchased with funds donated from the New Century Fund by NGA, 1998.
Associated NamesLane, Saundra, Mrs.
- Photographs from the Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999.
- Art for the Nation: Collecting for a New Century, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2000-2001.
- Friedman, Martin. Charles Sheeler. New York, 1975: p. 24.
- Stebbins, Theodore E., Jr., and Norman Keyes, Jr. Charles Sheeler: The Photographs. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts. Boston, 1987: pl. 19.
- Lucic, Karen. Charles Sheeler in Doylestown: American Modernism and the Pennsylvania Tradition. Exh. cat. Allentown Art Museum. Allentown (Pennsylvania), 1997: pl. 9.