falsely signed, lower right, "WMH" in monogram: WMHARNETT
S. David; purchased April 1939 by (Downtown Gallery, New York); sold 3 May 1939 to Anson Conger Goodyear [1877-1964], New York. Mrs. Cornelius N. Bliss [née Zaidee C. Cobb], New York, at least 1949-1950. (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, New York, 25 February 1972, no. 178); purchased by John Baskett for Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul
- John F. Peto, Smith College of Art, Northhampton; Brooklyn Museum; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1950, no. 8.
- Important Information Inside: The Art of John F. Peto and the Idea of Still-Life Painting in Nineteenth-Century America, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1983, no. 222, repro.
- Feast for the Eyes: American Masterworks from the National Gallery of Art, Academy Art Museum, Easton, Maryland, 2008, no cat.
- Art and Appetite: American Painting, Culture, and Cuisine, The Art Institute of Chicago; Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, 2013-2014, no. 55, fig. 13.
- Frankenstein, Alfred. "Harnett, True and False." The Art Bulletin 31, no. 1 (March 1949): 46.
- Frankenstein, Alfred. After the Hunt: William Harnett and Other American Still Life Painters 1870-1900. Rev. ed. Berkeley and Los Angeles, 1969: 184, no. 3.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: