Possibly Sir Jarrit Smith or Smyth [1692-1783], Ashton Court, near Bristol, Somerset; by descent in the family to his great-great-great-granddaughter, Esmé Smyth [née Edwards, 1863-1946], Ashton Court. Lord de Mauley, Langford House, Lechdale, Gloucestershire; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 8 July 1949, no. 131); (Frank Sabin, London); purchased 1951 by the 21st Earl of Shrewsbury and Waterford [1914-1980], Ingestre Hall, Staffordshire; (sale, Sotheby & Co., London, 23 March 1960, no. 63); purchased by (Colnaghi, London) for Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA.
- Two Great Masterpieces. Velasquez - Rubens, Frank T. Sabin, London, 1951, no. 35.
- Works of Art from Midland Houses, City of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 1953, no. 72.
- George Stubbs 1724-1806, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 1957, no. 40, pl. XXII, as A Poodle in a Punt.
- The Age of Rococo: Art and Culture of the Eighteenth Century, The Residenz, Munich, 1958, no. 192, repro.
- Painting in England 1700-1850: Collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1963, no. 314, repro., as White Poodle in a Boat.
- Painting in England 1700-1850 from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1964-1965, no. 275, repro., as White Poodle in a Boat.
- Painting in England 1700-1850 from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 1965, no. 187, repro., as White Poodle in a Boat.
- George Stubbs 1724-1806, Tate Gallery, London; Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1984-1985, no. 97, repro.
- Stubbs: An Exhibition in Honor of Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1985, no. 21, repro. (brochure).
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no cat.
- George Stubbs in the Collection of Paul Mellon: A Memorial Exhibition, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1999-2000, no. 55, repro. (shown only in New Haven).
- Best in Show: The Dog in Art from the Renaissance to Today, Bruce Museum, Greenwich, Connecticut; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2006-2007, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 33 (shown only in Houston).
- Parker, Constance-Anne. Mr. Stubbs the Horse Painter. 1971: 100, repro. 96.
- Neve, Christopher. "The Dog Beneath the Skin: Stubbs's Dog Portraits." Country Life CLVII, No. 4049 (6 February 1975): 314-315, fig. 1.
- Egerton, Judy. British Sporting and Animal Paintings 1655-1867: The Paul Mellon Collection. London, 1978: 100-101, no. 98, pl. 36.
- Gingold, Diane J., and Elizabeth A.C. Weil. The Corporate Patron. New York, 1991: 190, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 281, no. 227, color repro.
- Harris, Neil. Capital Culture: J. Carter Brown, the National Gallery of Art, and the Reinvention of the Museum Experience. Chicago and London, 2013: 421.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: