on corner of base nearest front left hoof: Degas [stamped replica of artist's signature]; on corner of base nearest rear right hoof: Hébrard Foundry stamp and 49/G
Marks and Labels
FM: A.A. Hébrard
(A.A. Hébrard, Paris); sold or consigned to (Walther Halvorsen), by March 1924. Mrs. E. Arthur; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 31 March 1965, no. 61); (Frank Partridge & Sons, Ltd., London); sold 1965 to Paul Mellon [1907-1999], Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA.
- Possibly [exhibition], Walther Halvorsen, Glasgow, 1924.
- Recent Acquisitions and Promised Gifts: Sculpture, Drawing, Prints, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, no. XX, as Cheval Trottant, repro.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 51.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 35, no. 49.
- Czestochowski, Joseph S., and Anne Pingeot. Degas--Sculptures. Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes. Memphis, 2002: 217.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 8, 88-89, color repro.