lower right in graphite by unknown hand: Nocturnal / note / by Whistler
Marks and Labels
lower left in red ink: O.H. Bacher stamp; lower left verso in black ink: Lessing J. Rosenwald stamp; lower left verso in blue ink: NGA's stamp
Otto H. Bacher (Lugt 2002), Lessing Julius Rosenwald [1891-1971], Philadelphia, (Lugt 1760b); gift to National Gallery of Art, 1943.
Associated NamesRosenwald, Lessing Julius
- Etchings, Lithographs, Original Drawings, and Autograph Letters by James A. McNeill Whistler, The Free Library of Philadelphia, 1931.
- "Whistler - Music", Institut Valencià d'Art Modern, Valencia, 2005.
- The Poetry of Light: Venetian Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2006.
- Bacher, O., WITH WHISTLER IN VENICE, New York: 1908, reproduced opposite p.52.
- MacDonald, Margaret F. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours: A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press, 1995, no. 797.