by unknown hand, lower center on parapet: IOANNES BELLINVS P.
Walter Wysard [b. 1871], Pangbourne, Buckinghamshire; purchased 1921 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold to John R. Thompson, Lake Forest, Illinois, by 1924; (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1940 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
Associated NamesDuveen Brothers, Inc.
Kress Foundation, Samuel H.
Thompson, John R.
- Loan Exhibition of Important Early Italian Paintings in the Possession of Notable American Collectors, Duveen Brothers, New York, 1924, no. 39 (no. 43, as The Virgin and Child with Saint Peter and Saint Clare in illustrated 1926 version of catalogue)
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 86, repro., as The Madonna and Child with St. Peter and St. Clara by Giovanni Bellini.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 22, no. 538.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 250, repro. 71.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 92, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 74-78, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 136, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 12.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 4, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 44-45, fig. 107.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 22, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:58; 2:pl. 33.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 203, no. 243, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 42, repro.
- Tempestini, Anchise. Giovanni Bellini: catalogo complete dei dipinti. Florence, 1992: 178, no. 61, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 84-87, color repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: