on base, front, faint: AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA
Adriano Sani, Siena, in the seventeenth century. Nob. Antonio Palmieri-Nuti, Siena. Clarence H. Mackay [1874-1938], Roslyn, New York, by at least 1925. (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 1939 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Italian Renaissance Sculpture in the Time of Donatello, Detroit Institute of Arts; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, Texas; Forte Belvedere, Florence, Italy, 1985-1986, no. 60 (shown only in Detroit and Fort Worth).
- Valentiner, W.R. The Clarence H. Mackay Collection. New York, 1926: 10-13, no. 16, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 229, no. A-46, as Saint Catherine of Siena.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 254, repro. 232, as St. Catherine of Siena.
- Swarzenski, Georg. "Some Aspects of Italian Quattrocento Sculpture in the National Gallery." Gazette des Beaux-Arts 6th series, 24 (November 1943): 293 fig. 9, 294-295, as Sienese .
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 125-127.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 183, repro.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 177, note 26, 95-97.
- Pope-Hennessy, John. 'Review: Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art by Charles Seymour." The Burlington Magazine 93, no. 576 (March 1951): 98.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 407, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 163.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 144, repro.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 25.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 625, no. 967, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 153, repro.