Possibly a church in Lucca. Elia Volpi [1858-1958], Palazzo Davanzati, Florence; sold 1913 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., New York, London, and Paris), by whom lent to Thomas Fortune Ryan, New York; sold 1941 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to the NGA.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 157-160, as by Matteo Civitale.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 191, repro., as The Adoration of the Child by Matteo Civitale.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 48.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 122, repro.
- Caglioti, Francesco. "Nuove terracotte di Benedetto da Maiano." Prospettiva 126-127 (April-July 2007): 23, 41, 43, figs. 42 and 44.