Godefroy Brauer [1857-1923], Paris and Nice; purchased 1907 by J.P. Morgan [1837-1913], New York, until at least 1923; (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); purchased January 1935 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 1 May 1937 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- On loan to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1907-1916.
- Loan Exhibition of the Arts of the Italian Renaissance, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1923, no.48.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 217, no. A-5.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 253, repro. 223.
- Swarzenski, Georg. "Some Aspects of Italian Renaissance Sculpture in the National Gallery." Gazette des Beaux-Arts 6th series, 24 (September 1943): 150 fig. 1, as by Agostino di Duccio.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 154, repro.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 177, note 25, repro. 91-94.
- Pope-Hennessy, John. 'Review: Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art by Charles Seymour." The Burlington Magazine 93, no. 576 (March 1951): 98.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 11
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 145.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 129, repro.
- Finley, David Edward. A Standard of Excellence: Andrew W. Mellon Founds the National Gallery of Art at Washington. Washington, 1973: 38, 39 repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 20, repro.
- Johnson, Geraldine A. "Art or artifact? Madonna and Child reliefs in the early Renaissance." In The Sculpted Object 1400-1700. Aldershot, England and Brookfield, Vermont, 1997: 5, 15 n. 25.
- Catterson, Lynn. "Stefano Bardini and the Taxonomic Branding of Marketplace Style: From the Gallery of a Dealer to the Institutional Canon." In Eva-Maria Troelenberg and Melania Savino, eds. Images of the Art Museum. Connecting Gaze and Discourse in the History of Museology. Berlin and Boston, 2017: 45-48, 46 fig. 2.
- Dickerson III, C.D. "The Sculpture Collection: Shaping a Vision, Expanding a Legacy." National Gallery of Art Bulletin 56 (Spring 2017): 2-3, repro.