lower left on envelope: Gifford / 15 10th St / N.Y.
Acquired 1867 by John T. Wilson, New York. (Vose Galleries, Boston); purchased 27 April 1964 by William Gerdts, New York; gift 2001 to NGA.
- [Exhibition at the Gifford Memorial Meeting], Century Club, New York, 1880, no. 17, as Fruit.
- [Still lifes from the collection of William H. Gerdts], American Federation of the Arts, New York, 1965, no cat.
- Mid-Nineteenth Century American Painting from the Collections of Henry M. Fuller and William H. Gerdts, Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, 1966, no. 24.
- 150 Years of American Still-Life Painting. An Exhibition for the Benefit of The Kips Bay Boys' Club, Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc., New York, 1970, no. 19, repro.
- American Cornucopia: 19th Century Still Lifes and Studies, The Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, 1976, no. 21.
- For Beauty and For Truth, Mead Art Museum, Amherst College, Amherst; Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1998, unnumbered catalogue, pl. 5.
- Weir, John F. A Memorial Catalogue of the Paintings of Sanford Robinson Gifford, N.A., New York, 1881: no. 459, as A Study of Pears.
- Gerdts, William H., and Russell Burke. American Still-Life Painting. New York, 1971: 105, fig. 7-6.
- Weiss, Ila. Sanford Robinson Gifford (1823-1880). New York and London, 1977: 262-263, figs. VII I 5, VII I 6.
- Gerdts, William H. Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life 1801-1939. Columbia, 1981: 106, fig. 5.19.
- Weiss, Ila. Poetic Landscape: The Art and Experience of Sanford R. Gifford. Newark, DE, 1987: 320, repro., as Pears and Wine.