lower right: Geo. C. Lambdin 1875
Possibly James H. Ricau [1916-1993], New York; William and Abigail Gerdts, New York, by at least 1966; gift (partial and promised) 2003 to NGA.
- Mid-Nineteenth Century American Painting from the Collections of Henry M. Fuller and William H. Gerdts, Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, 1966, no. 39.
- The American Vision: Paintings 1825-1875, The [New York] Public Education Association at M. Knoedler and Co., Hirschl and Adler Galleries, and Paul Rosenberg and Co., New York, 1968, no. 45, repro. (shown at M. Knoedler and Co.).
- Philadelphia: Three Centuries of American Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1976, no. 341, repro.
- Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life, 1801 – 1939, Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Oakland Art Museum; Baltimore Museum of Art; National Academy of Design, New York, 1981-82, plate 12.
- For Beauty and For Truth, Mead Art Museum, Amherst College, Amherst; Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1998, unnumbered catalogue, pl. 6.
- Gerdts, William H., and Russell Burke. American Still-Life Painting. New York, 1971: 92, pl. XI.
- Gerdts, William H. Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life 1801-1939. Columbia, 1981: 123-125, pl. 12.