The artist's sister, Mrs. Francis Ormond [1870-1955, née Violet Sargent], London; gift to Sir Alec Martin [1884-1971], London, after 1926; sold 1966 through (Sutch and Martin, London) to Joseph F. McCrindle [1923-2008], New York; gift 2006 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Works by the Late John S. Sargent, R.A. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1926, no. 310, as Pavement, Jerusalem.
- Opening Exhibition of the Sargent Gallery, National Gallery, London (now Tate Britian), 1926, unnumbered catalogue, as Pavement, Jerusalem.
- Charteris, Evan. John Sargent. New York: Scribner's, 1927, p. 288, as Pavement, Jerusalem.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. John Singer Sargent: A Biography. Rev. ed. (originally published 1955). New York, 1969: 448, as Pavement, Jerusalem.
- Ormond, Richard, and Elaine Kilmurray. John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1883-1899. The Complete Paintings, Volume V. New Haven and London, 2010: no. 936, repro.
- Grasselli, Margaret M., and Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr., eds. The McCrindle Gift: A Distinguished Collection of Drawings and Watercolors. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2012: 3, 19, 20 fig. 9, repro. 185.