lower right: with Compliments of / D. Johnson 1857
(Rabin & Krueger, Newark); purchased 1956 by William H. Gerdts [1929-2020], New York; gift (partial and promised) 2003 to NGA.
- [Still lifes of edible subjects from the collection of William H. Gerdts, on occasion of publication of cookbook by William and Lois Katzenbach], Board Room, American Federation of the Arts, New York, c. 1965, no catalogue, label no. 39.
- Mid-Nineteenth Century American Painting from the Collections of Henry M. Fuller and William H. Gerdts, Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, 1966, no. 34.
- 150 Years of American Still-Life Painting. An Exhibition for the Benefit of The Kips Bay Boys' Club, Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc., New York, 1970, no. 23, repro.
- American Cornucopia: 19th Century Still Lifes and Studies, The Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, 1976, no. 30, repro.
- Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life, 1801 – 1939, Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Oakland Art Museum; Baltimore Museum of Art; National Academy of Design, New York, 1981-82, no. 5.18.
- Nature Transcribed: The Landscapes and Still Lifes of David Johnson (1827-1908), Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, Ithaca; The Art Gallery, University of Maryland, College Park; Georgia Museum of Art, Athens; National Academy of Design, New York, 1988-1989, no. 6, repro. (shown only in Ithaca and New York City).
- For Beauty and For Truth: The William and Abigail Gerdts Collection of American Still Life, Mead Art Museum, Amherst College, Massachusetts; Berry-Hill Galleries, New York, 1998, unnumbered catalogue, color pl. 1, repro. 71.
- Gerdts, William H., and Russell Burke. American Still-Life Painting. New York, 1971: 105, fig. 7-1.
- Baur, John I.H. "'...the exact brushwork of Mr. David Johnson.' An American Landscape Painter, 1827-1908." The American Art Journal 12, no. 4 (Autumn 1980): 43, 44 n. 7.
- Gerdts, William H. Painters of the Humble Truth: Masterpieces of American Still Life 1801-1939. Columbia, 1981: 106-107, fig. 5.18.