The artist [1785-1851]; bequest 1851 to his widow, Lucy Bakewell Audubon [1788-1874]; sold 1863 to Miss Mary D. Bates, Ipswich, Massachusetts, until at least 1894. New England Museum of Natural History, Boston [acquisition #9299; now the Museum of Science]; deposited 24 July 1942 with the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Dr. Thomas Barbour [1884-1946], Boston and Cambridge; bequest 1946 to his daughter, Julia Adelaide Barbour [later Mrs. Samuel H. Hallowell], Beverly Farms, Massachusetts; sold 1973 through (Vose Galleries, Boston) to Dr. William J. Hlavin, Boston and Fair Lawn, Ohio; sold 2005 through (Apollo-Pierce Galleries, Palm Beach) to Richard Mellon Scaife [1932-2014], Pittsburgh; gift 2005 to NGA.
- John James Audubon: a name that became a symbol, The Museum of Science, Miami, February-March 1974, no. 1, cover repro.
- Original Oil Paintings, Watercolors and Publications by John James Audubon, Cleveland Museum of Natural History, April-June 1974, no cat. (listed under Case L in typewritten checklist).
- Birds in American Art, Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1978, no. 86, cover repro.
- John James Audubon: Artistry and Enterprise, National Wildlife Art Museum, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, 1994-1995, no cat.
- The Shorebirds of John James Audubon, Vose Galleries, Boston, 1994.
- Audubon's Dream Realized: Selections from "The Birds of America", National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, no cat.
- John James Audubon and the Artist as Naturalist, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, Bentonville, Arkansas, 2014-2015, no catalogue.
- Peindre l'Amerique. Les artistes du Nouveau Monde 1830-1900, Fondation de l'Hermitage, Lausanne, 2014, no. 3, repro.
- Smith, Griffin. "The Real Audubon." The Miami Herald (17 February 1974): 10-G, repro.
- Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc. Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc.: A Commemorative Catalogue. Boston, 1987: repro. 44.
- Apollo, Marco, and Pierce, Patricia Jobe. Art Collecting and Investing - the Inner Workings & the Underbelly of the Art World. 2003: 23-24, pl. 1.