Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris; Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 with the entire Dreyfus collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 15 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Italian Sculpture from the Dreyfus Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1932.
- Vitry, Paul. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus: I. - La Sculpture." Les Arts 72 (December 1907): repro. 14.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 228-229, no. A-15, as by Mino da Fiesole.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 253, repro. 231, as by Mino da Fiesole.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: fig. 119, as by Mino da Fiesole.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 129, repro., as by Mino da Fiesole.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 163, as by Mino da Fiesole.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 143, repro., as by Mino da Fiesole.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 121, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.
- Darr, Alan, Peter Barnet, and Antonia Boström. Catalogue of Italian Sculptures in the Detroit Institute of Arts. 2 vols. London, 2002: 1:121, 123.