lower left on stone: Stuart Davis; lower left in graphite: 20/25; lower right in graphite: Stuart Davis; lower left in graphite by unknown hand: #14 Barber Shop Chord; lower right in graphite by unknown hand: 20.
Marks and Labels
Ruth Kainen stamp The Downtown Gallery (NOV 15 1935) stamp
(Angus Whyte Gallery, Boston); Ruth Kainen, Washington, D.C., purchased August 8, 1973; gift to NGA, 2005.
- Medieval to Modern: Recent Acquisitions of Drawings, Prints, and Illustrated Books, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2008, no. 179.
- Modern American Prints and Drawings from the Kainen Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2014-2015
- Three Centuries of American Prints: from the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington; National Gallery in Prague, Prague 1; Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso, Mexico City; Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, 2016 - 2017, no. 78.
- Cole, Sylvan. The Prints of Stuart Davis. New York: Associated American Artists, 1976, no. 14.
- Brodie, Judith. "Gifts and Acquisitions: Stuart Davis, Barber Shop Chord.Sea." National Gallery of Art Bulletin 34 (Spring 2006): 24-25, repro.