lower right: .LL. 1540.
Frédéric Spitzer [1815-1890], Paris; (his estate sale, at his residence by Chevallier and Mannheim, Paris, 17 April-16 June 1893, no. 485); Maurice Kann [d. 1906], Paris; purchased 1908 with the entire Kann collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 13 November 1909 by Peter A.B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Exposition rétrospective de l'art français, Trocadéro, Paris, 1889, no. 1082.
Above the sitter's proper right shoulder a vertical crack in the enamel has been filled and inpainted, as have several small losses along the upper edges.
- Exposition rétrospective de l'art français. Exh. cat. Trocadéro, Paris, 1889: no. 1082.
- Molinier 1892, 2: (1891):40, no. 68.
- L'Art Paris (1893): 176, repro.
- Bourdery, Louis and E. Lachenaud. Léonard Limosin peintre de portraits. Paris, 1897: 245-246, no. 97A.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 37-38, as Portrait of a Reformer.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 10, as Portrait of a Man.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 213-214, no. 2.
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 90-91, color repro. 91.
- Schwann, Birgit. “Enamel insert restorations on Limoges painted enamels: A study on a remarkable nineteenth-century restoration technique with particular attention to the original paillon designs.” Studies in Conservation 59:3 (2014): 161-179.