on scroll in well of bowl: VINCENZO; on four separate tablets in border: AMA / DIO / 1529 / SPQR
Marks and Labels
Kann collection labels 26, 196 (now in object folder, NGA Curatorial Records)
Maurice Kann [1839-1906], Paris; purchased 1908 with the entire Kann collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased February 1910 by Peter A. B. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from the Estate of Peter A. B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, 1942.
- Sixteenth-Century Italian Maiolica; Selections from the Arthur M. Sackler Collection and the National Gallery of Art's Widener Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 22.
Earthenware, covered front and back with a grayish white tin glaze. The painting is in blue, gray, orange, yellow, white, and greenish black. On the front, near the rim, are three kiln-support marks, one of which has been overpainted. On the reverse a flaw in the firing has resulted in a substantial hole in the glaze. A crack from eight o'clock to the center has been repaired with some overpaint, and there are patches of overpaint on the rim around five, eight, and eleven o'clock. The outer and inner edges of the rim are worn.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 64, as Castel Durante.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 14, as Castel Durante.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 117, no. 5, as Duchy of Urbino.
- Rasmussen 1984, 165-166, as Castel Durante (?).
- Distelberger, Rudolf, Alison Luchs, Philippe Verdier, and Timonthy H. Wilson. Western Decorative Arts, Part I: Medieval, Renaissance, and Historicizing Styles including Metalwork, Enamels, and Ceramics. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1993: 134-135, color repro. 135.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: