at opposite ends of small cartouche on front of skull above visor: A.P.
Morosini family, Venice, before 1894; Countess Lauredana [sic] Gatterburg-Morosini [d. 1884]; (sale, directed by Jules Sambon and Charles Mannheim, Venice, Palazzo Morosini, 15-22 May 1894, no. 1); (Goldschmidt, Paris), until before 1913; Sigismond Bardac, Paris, before 1913, as Venetian, sixteenth century; (Arnold Seligmann et Cie, Paris), in 1913; purchased 21 February 1914, probably from Seligmann, by Peter A.B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1923, no catalogue.
- Helmets: A Loan Collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1924, no catalogue.
- Loan Exhibition of European Arms and Armor, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1931, no. 83, repro., as casque à l'antique, Italian, 1550.
- Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and his Contemporaries, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1998-1999, no. 67, repro. as Visored Burgonet by Master AP.
- Bapst, Germain. The Helmet of the Morosinis (also published as Le casque des Morosini). [Paris? n.d.; cited by Leman 1913].
- Leman, Henri. Collection Sigismond Bardac. Paris, 1913: no. 48, repro.
- Dean, Bashford. "The Casque of the Morosini." Art in America 2 (April 1914): 250-254, repro. 251.
- Laking, Guy Francis. A Record of European Armour and Arms. 5 vols. London, 1920-1922: 4 (1921): 154-157, figs. 1236a-c.
- Bulletin of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 18 (October 1923): 227, 236.
- Dean, Bashford. "A Lion-Headed Hemlet." Bulletin of The Metropolitan Museum of Art 18 (October 1923): 227, n. 1.
- Bulletin of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 19 (July 1924): 162-163.
- Cripps-Day, Francis Henry. A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924. London, 1925: 46.
- "Fine Display of Rare Armor Held at Metropolitan." Art News 29 (August 1931): 9.
- Loan Exhibition of European Arms and Armour. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1931: 27, 28, no. 83, repro.
- Inventory of the Objects d'Art at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, The Estate of the Late P.A.B. Widener. Philadelphia, 1935: 73, as Venetian (Paolo Rizzo), middle of sixteenth century.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 15, as Venetian 16th Century (Paolo Rizzo).
- Thomas, Bruno, and Ortwin Gamber. "L'arte Milanese dell'Armatura." Storia de Milano. 16 vols. and index. Milan, 1953-1966: 11(1958):834, as "borgognotta del Negroli."
- Thomas, Bruno. Gesammelte Schriften zur historischen Waffenkunde. 2 vols. Graz, 1977: 2:1092, "Sturmhaube des Negroli".
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 144, as north Italian, second half of sixteenth century.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: