in watercolor, lower right: HOMER '74
(Daniel A. Matthews Art Gallery, 2-4 Mar. 1880, Homer watercolors sale) [?]; Thomas B. Clarke, New York, [1880?]; (American Art Association, 14-18 Feb. 1899, Clarke sale no.24); Frank Rockefeller, Cleveland, 1899; Alice Rockefeller, Cleveland, his daughter, probably by bequest, 1917; John S. Nash, Cleveland Heights, Ohio, 1943; (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, 1971); Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; to National Gallery, bequest of Mrs. Paul Mellon to NGA, 2014.
- The Great Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 10 May-10 Nov. 1876, no 308 [?]
- Daniel A. Mathews Art Gallery, New York, [auction], 2-4 March 1880
- Private Art Collection of Thomas B. Clarke [auction], American Art Association, New York, 7-18 Feb. 1899, no. 24
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 April-3 June 1973; no. 80 (as Rustic Courtship, Whitney, only)
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2 March-11 May 1986; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 6 June-27 July 1986; Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 11 Sept.-2 Nov. 1986, no. 17 (as Rustic Courtship)
- Goodrich, Lloyd, and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer, vol. 2. New York: Spanierman Gallery, 2005, pp. 280-281, no. 499.