lower left: Eddy / from / Aunt Mary
The sitter's father, and the artist's brother, Alexander Johnston Cassatt [1839-1906], Philadelphia; gift to his granddaughter, and the artist's grandniece, Lois Buchanan Cassatt Thayer [1894-1977], Haverford, Pennsylvania; gift, by 1954, to her daughter, and the artist's great-grandniece, Julie Thayer Iselin Vehr, Washington, D.C., and Middleburg, Virginia; gift 2015 to NGA.
- Exposition of Paintings, Pastels and Etchings by Miss Mary Cassatt, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1895, no. 29, as Enfant au Chien.
- Mary Cassatt, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1960, as Eddy in Red Velvet (Edward Buchanan Cassatt).
- Miss Mary Cassatt, Impressionist from Pennsylvania, 1844-1926, Portland Museum of Art, Maine, 1979.
- Sweet, Frederick A. Miss Mary Cassatt, Impressionist of Philadelphia. Norman, Oklahoma, 1966: 24.
- Breeskin, Adelyn Dohme. Mary Cassatt: A Catalogue Raisonné of the Oils, Pastels, Watercolors, and Drawings. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1970, p. 32, no. 12.
- Hale, Nancy. Mary Cassatt. Garden City, New York, 1975: 48-49, as Portrait of Eddie.
- Love, Richard H. Cassatt: The Independent. Chicago, 1980: 9, 17 n. 10.
- Rubinstein, Charlotte Streifer. American Women Artists from Early Indian Times to the Present. New York and Boston, 1982: 131.
- Mathews, Nancy Mowll. Mary Cassatt. New York, 1987: 24, 35, repro.
- Wiser, William. The Great Good Place: American Expatriate Women in Paris. New York, 1991: 38, as Portrait of Edward.
- Pollock, Griselda. Mary Cassatt: Painter of Modern Women. New York, 1998: 112.